Friday, January 18, 2013

My Ubuntu, shared by Finda Quiwa


Ready for the Day of Ubuntu

The Ubuntu- I am human because you are human - concept is one of the new mission concept that the United Methodist Women in Sierra Leone have committed themselves to do.
As a UMWO Regional Missionary, I am so happy that women are committeed to doing practical mission which is the definition I have given to the Zulu word Ubuntu. 
Wednesday 12th December 2012 was a unique day of Ubuntu for UMWO in Sierra Leone.  It was uniquie in the sense that United Methodist Women from the USA were part of the journey in Lunsar in the Northern region of Sierra Leone.  The presence of women from the USA gave a practical meaning to the Lunsar Ubuntu Journey looking at the thousands of miles  they travel to tell other women that they are all one no matter where they are from.  
The "Yellow House" departs for a nearby village.
December 12th 2012 was my first time to really know Lunsar town and to meet with the people. Ubuntu gave me the opportunity of sharing God's love to his children and letting them know that he loves them.   The used clothing, cooking items, and talking together gave women men, young people and children another opportunity of smiling and dancing to the glory of God.

My two sad moments were seeing God's children rejoicing to get basic necessities that they are supposed to get but do not have and also seeing a teenage girl being pregnant.  The teenage girl makes me remember some of the young women I worked with and reflect on their stories outlying how sad they are for being child mothers at an early age because of poverty.  The experience sharing was a touching moment seeing women sharing experiences from the four villages around Lunsar.  The women were  motivated to do more Ubuntu when they return to their differenct areas which gave me hope for the future.
Checking out the books they had been given. 

Curious about all that will be found in the blue bags.



 
Thanks Finda for sharing your Ubuntu experience with us.   Thanks Mary for the photos you took as you visited one of the nearby villages.   We all were blessed by this special day of Ubuntu.

Sorry about the spacing issues.  Photos also seem to just have a mind of their own today as does the text.  When I get time I will start all over.   It is what it is!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment