Thursday, October 4, 2012

Meet Bonnie...

Gene, Hazvinei, and Bonnie   October 2011
   One of the most meaningful experiences of my life other than meeting my husband, the birth of our 4 sons and the wonderful addition of grandchildren... was going to Zimbabwe in 1998.  That changed my life.  There's not time or space to explain all but that first visit to Africa University led to two other trips, one in 2000 and another in 2011. Just be prepared that when we are together, this experience will be shared because it is so part of my faith journey.
   For 30 years I juggled a family, teaching and activities with UMW.  Teaching was far more than a job, it was a calling for I was so blessed by the opportunity to touch the lives of young people and they gave back in equal measure.  A selfish act for sure but to enjoy each and every day so much is a blessing from God.  I loved every day I had in the classroom but now in my 9th year of retirement, I cherish those memories and use the freedom of schedule to do many other volunteer jobs.  One of my great joys is to tutor granddaughters in math via "facetime" on the IPad.  
    I guess now I just juggle our schedule.  Gene and I have been married for 52 years.   He's an amazing man who has supported me 100 % in all that I do.   For all who have been in leadership roles, you understand how important it is to have someone embrace your time and energy away with respect. 
     I look forward to getting acquainted with you.   Send me your photo and a similar story about yourself so that we might learn more about one another before we leave for Sierra Leone.  
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bonnie,
    The blog is just great and it's nice to see your husband, Gene. I know your trip will be great with Vickie leading it and all of you good members on the team! And, you'll have first hand knowledge of an Ubuntu Journey! You'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete