Monday, October 8, 2012

The Bite of the Mango ...

A must read for our journey
I know that I should be doing something besides reading and crying today. Mariatu's story is just horrific and very difficult to comphrehend.  I thought that surely by now I would not be so affected by the words, the images that come into my head because I've read many books about war torn areas (Cambodia, Rwanda, and Sierra Leone) over the years. Right now I just  need a break from the reading of Mariatu's words. What is it that motivates or drives one human being to  disfigure, kill, or torture another human being?  What role does poverty play? What long term effects do these actions have on those who are driven to do such unspeakable things to their fellow countrymen?  What was the role of the Christian church or Christians?  Mariatu is a Muslim and was disfigured by a Muslim.  Did religion have any part in her story?  What strength and determination this young girl demonstrated at the time and continues to draw on today! And what is worse, think about all those untold stories of girls just like her. Where is the anger? I have much to learn from these women about inner strength and forgiveness.    
Meet Mariatu Kamara
If you have read this book, I'd really like to get another prospective. Several years ago I read "A Long Way Gone" by Ishmeal Beah and was blessed by hearing him speak at Valparaiso University.  What a powerful speech!  Can you imagine when Mariatu met Ishmeal for the first time?  
The Bite of the Mango is on the 2012 Reading List  in the Social Action category.   Our local UMW reading group will be discussing this book early next year (and I didn't have anything to do with the selection.)
Either post a comment or send me a review and your thoughts on this book.   

No comments:

Post a Comment