Thursday, October 4, 2012

Her journey continues, our journey begins...


It was the picture of a newborn baby boy, born in the surgical unit of Kissy  United Methodist Hospital in 2007 which tugged at my heart.   My friend been on a mission team serving at the Kissy when the little guy was born.   As I looked through her photos, I learned that the surgical unit had been funded by UMWomen Pledge to Mission Giving.  I learned this little guy, and too many other babies just like him, would not be named for up to 3 years, due to their failure to survive (mostly malaria and malutrition). 
Vickie Newkirk...she's leading us to a special place in her heart. 
God began to tug at my heartstrings.   God kept Sierra Leone in front of me, with a sense of humor!  I began to notice ‘Sierra’ trucks driving in front of me, and seeing ‘Sierra Mist’ soft drink cans!  My husband Bill discerned God, indeed, was calling me to be part of the 2008 mission team to Sierra Leone.   Bill and I had been privileged to serve on several mission teams previously; I had to keep reminding him, lest he had forgotten this one small detail:  this was AFRICA!!!
 

My experience in Sierra Leone was transforming; spiritually, mentally, socially.   God did not need me to travel to West Africa, I needed to.   My life will never be the same. 
My hope and prayer for this Ubuntu Journey, for each of us on the team, is to experience relationship with our global sisters, offering friendship and encouragement.  To develop a deeper understanding of whom we are, as United Methodist Women, as followers of Jesus Christ.  
Vickie and Beatrice get acquainted in 2008
My constant reminder of why I am a United Methodist woman is a well-worn photo of a newborn baby boy.  
 
Let me now introduce our local host...Beatrice Fofanah.  She serves as the United Methodist Women's organization coordinator in Sierra Leone.   We met when I was on the mission trip and now  working with her is like working with an old friend.   Thanks Beatrice for doing all that it takes to make our time with you and the women extra special. 






2 comments:

  1. You're in my prayers as you lead this very important Ubuntu Journey! You have prepared your team well and God is by your side!

    Love,
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers are arriving as you are going. Have a wonderful jouney Cindy and others. Take care, Marion

    ReplyDelete